Tags

, ,

I’ve set deadlines for myself. I mentioned this before, that Phase 1 of the Manhattan Bridge series would be finished by April 1st. I met that deadline. I had hoped to have Phase 2 done by the end of June, but then, realistically, I had to push that goal back to the middle of June.

My work patterns are like the weather in spring: in like a Lion, out like a Lamb. With a new project, a lot of excitement and energy allows me to produce a lot of work quickly. Sometime 2 or 3 pieces a day. But as time moves on, I begin to slow down. The real trick to working is to try to do something every day. As the series matures, some aspects of it get bet, some become less fresh. I find that once I’m “done” with a piece, I back away for a day and let it sit in plain sight. I tweak as necessary before I spray it with fixative.

Along with slow down on my productivity, distractions get in the way. I had scheduled a couple of days off, but then I got sick. When I’m sick, I don’t even feel like reading, much less standing and creating artwork. Memorial Day Weekend was an opportunity to get a piece a day produced, but I came home from work Friday night and David had season one of The Wire cued up on Hulu – I couldn’t say no. And, finally, my house has gotten so gross and furry, and my cupboards bare, that I had to take a precious weekend to correct the situation or I couldn’t concentrate.

42

42

So, as of June 15, 2014 I had 42 out of 50 pieces done. I’m trying to start early in the morning to stoke myself up to finish a piece in the evening when I get home from work. The morning gig is working, so I would be smart to finish this blog post and go get another one started before I hop in the shower.

Advertisements